Officials are investigating a police officer who shot and killed a 13-year-old robbery suspect in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday after his weapon was determined to be a BB gun, according to local news reports.
The incident began as police responded to a reported robbery involving multiple suspects Wednesday evening, according to an Associated Press report. Officers said they saw three males matching the description and pursued two of them as they tried to flee on foot. One teenager—identified as Tyree King—was shot and killed when he pulled what officers initially said was a gun. Officials later determined the weapon as a BB gun.
The shooting and robbery remain under investigation. King’s companion was interviewed and released by police.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future