Officials are investigating a police officer who shot and killed a 13-year-old robbery suspect in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday after his weapon was determined to be a BB gun, according to local news reports.
The incident began as police responded to a reported robbery involving multiple suspects Wednesday evening, according to an Associated Press report. Officers said they saw three males matching the description and pursued two of them as they tried to flee on foot. One teenager—identified as Tyree King—was shot and killed when he pulled what officers initially said was a gun. Officials later determined the weapon as a BB gun.
The shooting and robbery remain under investigation. King’s companion was interviewed and released by police.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now