Officials are investigating a police officer who shot and killed a 13-year-old robbery suspect in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday after his weapon was determined to be a BB gun, according to local news reports.
The incident began as police responded to a reported robbery involving multiple suspects Wednesday evening, according to an Associated Press report. Officers said they saw three males matching the description and pursued two of them as they tried to flee on foot. One teenager—identified as Tyree King—was shot and killed when he pulled what officers initially said was a gun. Officials later determined the weapon as a BB gun.
The shooting and robbery remain under investigation. King’s companion was interviewed and released by police.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving