Officials are investigating a police officer who shot and killed a 13-year-old robbery suspect in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday after his weapon was determined to be a BB gun, according to local news reports.
The incident began as police responded to a reported robbery involving multiple suspects Wednesday evening, according to an Associated Press report. Officers said they saw three males matching the description and pursued two of them as they tried to flee on foot. One teenager—identified as Tyree King—was shot and killed when he pulled what officers initially said was a gun. Officials later determined the weapon as a BB gun.
The shooting and robbery remain under investigation. King’s companion was interviewed and released by police.
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023