Acclaimed Ico and Shadow of the Colossus director Fumito Ueda’s The Last Guardian, for PlayStation 4, won’t make its October 25 release date, says Sony boss Shuhei Yoshida. That’s the bad news. The good news is that it hasn’t been delayed to 2017, and you can pick it up on December 6, 2016, instead.
In a note on the official PlayStation Blog, Yoshida said the game was “fast approaching major milestones in production,” and that the development team opted to delay the game a bit further. The Last Guardian stars a boy (controlled by you) and his giant sphinx-like companion, who wend their way through beautiful, puzzle-like levels. As in PlayStation 2 game Shadow of the Colossus, you can cling to your animal companion, clambering around its feathered bulk and guiding it to help you progress.
The game was originally to be a 2011 PlayStation 3 release, but missed its marks, and was for a while thought to be in danger of vanishing entirely. According to Yoshida, the delay is just the usual polish pass after the team “encountered more bugs than anticipated while in the final stages of development.”
You can read TIME’s interview with Ueda at the E3 game show this summer here.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Matt Peckham at email@example.com