Hungarian camerawoman Petra Laszlo has been charged with a “breach of peace” for kicking and attempting to trip migrants on the Serbian border last year.
The incident was captured on video at the time and the footage quickly went viral. Viewers were particularly disturbed by an incident in which Laszlo attempted to trip a Syrian refugee, Osama Abdul Mohsen, while he carried his young child.
Under Hungarian law, a breach of peace is “antisocial, violent behavior capable of inciting indignation or alarm,” the New York Times reports. Laszlo was not found to have been motivated by racial hatred or bias, and she has subsequently apologized for her behavior, though she has suggested that she has been used as a scapegoat. A court date has not yet been set for her case.
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk