On Monday, the tennis champion and Lemonade guest star passed Roger Federer’s record for most career Grand Slam match wins with 308 to her name. The record number came after she defeated Yaroslava Shvedova in the fourth round of the U.S. Open.
“It’s a huge number,” Williams told the Associated Press after the game. “I think it’s something that just really talks about the length of my career, in particular. I’ve been playing for a really long time. But also, given that consistency up there—that’s something that I’m really proud of.”
Williams was recently hailed in a Nike ad as the “greatest athlete ever.” The ad echoed the athlete’s July remarks at a Wimbledon press conference, when she said that she’d prefer to be called the greatest athlete of all time rather than the greatest female athlete.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time