The Nobel Peace Prize-winning humanitarian became known for her work helping people living in poverty in Kolkata, India.
Here are 10 powerful quotes about her faith and philosophy:
1. “If I ever become a Saint–I will surely be one of ‘darkness.’ I will continually be absent from Heaven–to light the light of those in darkness on earth,” she said, according to Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light, whose author described it as her “mission statement.”
2. “I am everything. Every country I love and I am a child of God to love the humans,” she said in a 1995 interview when asked about her nationality.
3. “I see somebody dying, I pick him up. I find somebody hungry, I give him food. He can love and be loved. I don’t look at his color, I don’t look at his religion. I don’t look at anything. Every person whether he is Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist, he is my brother, my sister,” she said in the same interview.
4. “Do ordinary things with extraordinary love,” she often said, according to a priest who knew her through her Missionaries of Charity.
5. “Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the action that we do,” she said in her Nobel Peace Prize lecture in 1979.
6. “Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love,” she also said in the lecture.
7. “We fear the future because we are wasting the today,” she wrote in Where There is Love, There is God.
8. “The future is so much in the hands of God, I find it much more easy to accept today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow has not come and I have only today,” she also wrote in the book.
9. “We have been created for greater things, to love and be loved,” she wrote in the same book.
10. “I do not agree with the big way of doing things. To us, what matters is an individual,” she wrote.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy