Thursday marks 37 years since the publication of The Neverending Story, Michael Ende’s beloved fantasy novel that spawned a cult classic film adaptation with an irritatingly infectious pop hit to accompany it.
To mark the anniversary, Google has released a Google Doodle illustrating each chapter from the book — beginning with the protagonist Bastian Balthazar Bux’s discovery of a battered old tome called The Neverending Story, which transports him into an alternate fantasy universe.
“Every once in a blue moon a book captures the imagination, providing a portal into magical places unknown,” Google writes. “So it was with The Neverending Story.“
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk