Seventeen days before Isabelle Lagacé and Melina Roberge’s two-month cruise from England to Australia via several other countries was due to end, it was abruptly cut short in Sydney when they encountered Australian Federal Police. The duo, along with 63-year-old André Tarmine, were arrested with more than 200 lb. of cocaine — worth over $22 million — in their luggage.
The trio’s detention was the result of an investigation by Australian, Canadian and U.S. authorities, and tracking them down was undoubtedly made easier by the fact that Lagacé and Roberge documented their entire seven-week trip — spanning North America, South America and the Caribbean — on Instagram.
The photographs may depict a dream vacation, but what will follow — possibly a lifetime in prison — will likely be a harsh reality check.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time