“I called you guys 10 minutes ago,” said one man in the calls released Tuesday by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office, according to the Orlando Sentinel. “My girlfriend’s hiding in the club Pulse, where people are shot and dead and there’s like 18 people hiding in the bathroom … They’re all scared to death, and they all think they’re gonna die.”
Not included in the release are calls made by people actually inside the building during Omar Mateen’s shooting rampage; media outlets have sued for the public release of those recordings.
Another loved one, the mother of someone trapped inside, called 911 and said, “My son is stuck in the bathroom down there, and I got him on the other phone … I called before, but they called dispatch and all the lines were busy.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org