“Remember in Rio when I made that face that ended up all over the Internet?” Phelps asked. “I was in the zone with Future’s track, “Stick Talk”, blaring in my headphones.”
Phelps’s intense game face became one of the strongest memes out of the 2016 Olympics, as the internet went crazy for his serious look toward rival, South Africa’s Chad Le Clos as he showboxed in front of him. The Olympian later said he was just concentrating while listening to music.
Phelps said hip hop has given him constant motivation throughout his career, citing Future’s optimism as he introduced him at the awards.
“I might have a lot of gold but this guy’s got all the platinum,” he concluded.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Mahita Gajanan at email@example.com