“Remember in Rio when I made that face that ended up all over the Internet?” Phelps asked. “I was in the zone with Future’s track, “Stick Talk”, blaring in my headphones.”
Phelps’s intense game face became one of the strongest memes out of the 2016 Olympics, as the internet went crazy for his serious look toward rival, South Africa’s Chad Le Clos as he showboxed in front of him. The Olympian later said he was just concentrating while listening to music.
Phelps said hip hop has given him constant motivation throughout his career, citing Future’s optimism as he introduced him at the awards.
“I might have a lot of gold but this guy’s got all the platinum,” he concluded.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart