Kanye West took the VMA stage Sunday night having been given four minutes to do whatever he pleased — and given the rapper’s penchant for controversy, people expected something revolutionary — even shocking.
Instead, West announced plans to debut a music video for “Fade,” but said, “before I do that, I’ma talk.” He covered a variety of topics during a short speech, ranging from his recent feud with Taylor Swift to high murder rates in Chicago. He said people are kept in poverty in three different way, and called out older, rich white people for telling him not to compare himself to Steve Jobs or Walt Disney.
Read his remarks as delivered via MTV:
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time