The show hasn’t even begun, but resident showstopper Beyoncé has already made a splash. On Sunday night, the superstar singer hit the MTV Video Music Awards red carpet (or white carpet, as the case may be) with an unexpected date in tow: her 4 1/2-year-old daughter, Blue Ivy.
The duo turned heads (Beyoncé was bedecked in feathers, after all), but the singer chose to make an even bigger statement by bringing along a team of further plus-ones, all of whom made appearances in her Lemonade visual album. Actress Quvenzhané Wallis, model Winnie Harlow, and the mothers of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown were among the women on the red carpet alongside Beyoncé.
MTV announced earlier Sunday that the Lemonade star would be performing at the show—a surprise addition to the stacked performance lineup. She’s nominated for 11 awards.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022