The show hasn’t even begun, but resident showstopper Beyoncé has already made a splash. On Sunday night, the superstar singer hit the MTV Video Music Awards red carpet (or white carpet, as the case may be) with an unexpected date in tow: her 4 1/2-year-old daughter, Blue Ivy.
The duo turned heads (Beyoncé was bedecked in feathers, after all), but the singer chose to make an even bigger statement by bringing along a team of further plus-ones, all of whom made appearances in her Lemonade visual album. Actress Quvenzhané Wallis, model Winnie Harlow, and the mothers of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown were among the women on the red carpet alongside Beyoncé.
MTV announced earlier Sunday that the Lemonade star would be performing at the show—a surprise addition to the stacked performance lineup. She’s nominated for 11 awards.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time