The show hasn’t even begun, but resident showstopper Beyoncé has already made a splash. On Sunday night, the superstar singer hit the MTV Video Music Awards red carpet (or white carpet, as the case may be) with an unexpected date in tow: her 4 1/2-year-old daughter, Blue Ivy.
The duo turned heads (Beyoncé was bedecked in feathers, after all), but the singer chose to make an even bigger statement by bringing along a team of further plus-ones, all of whom made appearances in her Lemonade visual album. Actress Quvenzhané Wallis, model Winnie Harlow, and the mothers of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown were among the women on the red carpet alongside Beyoncé.
MTV announced earlier Sunday that the Lemonade star would be performing at the show—a surprise addition to the stacked performance lineup. She’s nominated for 11 awards.
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- The Red-State Governor Who's Not Afraid to Be 'Woke'
- Jonathan Van Ness: We Are Still Not Taking Monkeypox Seriously Enough
- The Not-So-Romantic Return of Europe's Sleeper Trains
- This Filmmaker Set Out To Record Her Family’s Journey Rebuilding Afghanistan. Her Work Is a Reminder of What’s at Stake
- Why Sunscreen Ingredients Need More Safety Data
- What Historians Think of the Joe Biden-Jimmy Carter Comparisons
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma