When Britney Spears performed her hit song “I’m A Slave 4 U” at the MTV Video Music Awards fifteen years ago, something very iconic happened: about halfway through the hip-shaking show, Brit strutted across the stage and collected a seven-foot albino Burmese python from another dancer. She then draped this reptile across her shoulders, continuing to dance and twirl with gusto. It was the getup that launched a thousand Halloween costumes, and solidified snakes as definitively sexy in the early 2000s. Britney was already a superstar, but with the snake’s help, she went supernova.
But what happened to that snake?
While we may never know the real purpose of the snake in the performance, we now do know that the giant reptile is — still! — alive and well, according to an animal handler. MTV tracked it down, and learned a few interesting things in the process. For starters, the snake was a female — and a juvenile, at that. She was only about 20 lb. at the time, thankfully. Brit’s dancing partner is currently living with a friend of the handler’s and probably has no idea that she’s a superstar in her own right. May she live happily ever after.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time