Parris Goebel, 24, is the dance prodigy best known for choreographing, directing and starring in the viral music video for Justin Bieber’s “Sorry.” You might remember the one: a group of brightly-dressed, sunglasses-wearing young women getting down to the sweet strains of Bieber’s breakout hit from last fall, dripping with swag.
Well, now Goebel — who goes by the stage name Parri$ — is launching her own solo music career, starting with her debut single “Nasty.”
Shot as one continuous take on a farm in New Zealand, Parri$ and her extensive squad of dancers (a co-ed crew this time) let loose to the pared-down track, a percussion-forward single designed to give you a great beat to twerk to. Decked out in neutral-colored furs and sweats (echoes of Yeezy Season 3, anyone?), the look was meant to “feel fresh and raw,” she told The FADER. Rather like the song, which oozes in-your-face attitude.
“I am the flyest thing in town / I am the flyest thing bow down,” she raps on the track, and her confidence is not something you question. Plus, she’s got the stamp of approval of a laundry list of pop music’s female heavyweights, from Nicki Minaj to Janet Jackson to Jennifer Lopez.
Her debut album, Run and Tell Your Friends, is expected to drop Oct. 17.
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement