Jillian Michaels isn’t about to let societal gender roles dictate how she raises her children.
“The little man works on his selfie skills. And yes, he got his ears pierced,” the fitness guru and television personality, 42, captioned a selfie she posted to Instagram on Aug. 6, which features her 4-year-old son Phoenix smiling excitedly for the camera.
Her reasoning behind allowing her only son to have the procedure done?
“His sister got hers pierced and he wanted his done. I wasn’t about to say ‘that’s for girls,’ ” she adds.
Michaels and her fiancée Heidi Rhoades — whom Michaels proposed to during an episode of her E! reality show Just Jillian — are also parents to daughter Lukensia, 6.
“Start em young,” Michaels wrote next to a Tuesday video of Phoenix doing one-armed push-ups while Lukensia does a cartwheel into the shot. “Who else’s kids think they’re Olympians?”
In fact, Michaels’ kids are all about athletics and playing in the great outdoors — because that’s how it should be, she believes.
“Kids shouldn’t be working out or having workout programs and we do that by limiting their screen time,” the author of the upcoming book Yeah Baby! The Modern Mama’s Breakthrough Guide to Mastering Pregnancy, Having a Healthy Baby, and Bouncing Back Better Than Ever, told PEOPLE in March.
“They get a half hour of screen time a day and the rest of the time, they’re outdoors playing. … That’s how it’s supposed to be for kids.”
This article originally appeared on People.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement