Matt Roberts, the former guitarist for the band 3 Doors Down, has died at the age of 38.
Roberts was in West Bend, Wisconsin with his father where he was supposed to perform at a benefit for veterans. The West Bend police department responded to a call on Saturday morning reporting an unconscious man in a hotel hallway. They found Roberts dead at a local Hampton Inn.
His father, Darrell Roberts, told CNN he last saw him outside his hotel room.
“We go up to our room, we got adjoining rooms and — he was always looking after me as his dad — so my key didn’t work and he went and came back in just a few minutes and got me a new key,” Roberts told CNN. “He opened the door for me and he said ‘just make sure you open the adjoining room in case you need anything.’ He was always looking out for me.”
Police said there were no signs of trauma on Roberts’s body and that the cause of death is currently unknown. An autopsy has been scheduled for Sunday.
Roberts left 3 Doors Down in 2012 citing health reasons, the Associated Press reported. He was a founding member of the band, along with Brad Arnold and Todd Harrell, all from Escatawpa, Mississippi.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Why It’s OK to Say No to That Party You’re Dreading
- COP28 Is a Business Bonanza. Should It Be?
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- Column: When India Was a Human Rights Leader
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time