Matt Roberts, the former guitarist for the band 3 Doors Down, has died at the age of 38.
Roberts was in West Bend, Wisconsin with his father where he was supposed to perform at a benefit for veterans. The West Bend police department responded to a call on Saturday morning reporting an unconscious man in a hotel hallway. They found Roberts dead at a local Hampton Inn.
His father, Darrell Roberts, told CNN he last saw him outside his hotel room.
“We go up to our room, we got adjoining rooms and — he was always looking after me as his dad — so my key didn’t work and he went and came back in just a few minutes and got me a new key,” Roberts told CNN. “He opened the door for me and he said ‘just make sure you open the adjoining room in case you need anything.’ He was always looking out for me.”
Police said there were no signs of trauma on Roberts’s body and that the cause of death is currently unknown. An autopsy has been scheduled for Sunday.
Roberts left 3 Doors Down in 2012 citing health reasons, the Associated Press reported. He was a founding member of the band, along with Brad Arnold and Todd Harrell, all from Escatawpa, Mississippi.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out