After meteorologist and bodybuilder Joe Bastardi (who also faced off with Nye on Fox News’ The O’Reilly Factor in 2010) challenged Nye in a 2015 op-ed for The Patriot Post, citing that Nye’s opinions on global warming should not be taking seriously since “he is not a man of science. He is an actor,” Nye made a video that not only included facts, but offered to make a $10,000 bet with the meteorologist that 2016 would be one of the hottest years on record, and another bet for the same amount that the current decade would also be one of the hottest ones on record.
Nye ended the video by urging Bastardi to take the climate change bet. Read more about this summer’s record temperature highs here.
Watch the full video below.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving