Detroit is putting small mailbox-like libraries in front of public schools to encourage more kids to read.
Sanne Wevers won the Netherlands’ first-ever individual gymnastics gold medal for her balance-beam routine.
President Obama’s annual summer playlist included a “nighttime” set. Among the featured songs: “Lady” by D’Angelo and Janet Jackson’s “I Get Lonely.”
Rihanna will receive the prestigious Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at MTV’s upcoming Video Music Awards; previous honorees include Beyoncé, Madonna and Justin Timberlake.
Pennsylvania bride Jeni Stepien, who lost her father a decade ago, was walked down the aisle by the man who received his heart in a transplant.
Downton Abbey’s Michelle Dockery said she would “wholeheartedly consider” returning to the Crawley family–for a film.
Time’s weekly take on what popped in culture
Oreo unveiled a Swedish Fish variety that combines the cookie’s classic chocolate wafers with a gummy-candy-flavored red crème.
Comedy Central canceled The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore just 12 weeks before Election Day, saying it had failed to “resonate” with the channel’s audience.
The Olympic diving pool had to be temporarily closed after the water turned green because of a chemical imbalance. Said one official: “Chemistry is not an exact science.”
A 19-year-old was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment after using suction cups to climb Trump Tower in New York City; he was pulled inside by police once he reached the 21st floor.
Square Enix delayed the launch of its hotly anticipated new game, Final Fantasy XV, by more than two months; it’s now expected to be released on Nov. 29.
This appears in the August 29, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy