While what you choose to name your child can influence their life to some extent, whether it can help win a gold medal is not guaranteed. This may not be stopping soon-to-be parents from taking their chances.
According to Google Trends, interest in the term ‘Simone baby name’ increased 230% during the month of August. The reason most likely stems from the Olympic achievements of gymnast Simone Biles and swimmer Simone Manuel.
Both athletes have achieved awe-inspiring success in Rio. Biles has been called “the greatest gymnast of all time” with her five medals: four golds and one bronze. She has also attracted several celebrity fans, from North West to Zac Efron. Manuel tied for first in the 100m-freestyle, becoming the first African American woman to win a gold medal in an individual swimming event.
Many on Twitter predicted a surge of interest in the name Simone before the Google results were revealed:
[h/t NBC News]
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Wilder Davies at firstname.lastname@example.org