The couple released a joint statement following the settlement announcement. “Our relationship was intensely passionate and at times volatile, but always bound by love,” it reads. “Neither party has made false accusations for financial gain. There was never any intent of physical or emotional harm.”
Heard filed for divorce from the Oscar-nominated actor in May and subsequently got a temporary restraining order against Depp, accusing him of hitting her during a fight at their apartment in Los Angeles. Depp denied the abuse claims and police said they found no evidence of a crime.
The estranged couple was due in court on Wednesday for a restraining order hearing.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Cady Lang at email@example.com