A 21-year-old Kentucky man accused of stabbing his father during a church service told officers he was “moved by the message” before the attack on Sunday.
Ethan Buckley was charged with first-degree assault-domestic violence for stabbing his father, David Buckley, several times in the neck at a morning Baptist church service in Bowling Green, Kentucky, according tothe Bowling Green Daily News.
The arrest citation said Buckley told officers he was “moved by the message” Sunday morning before stabbing his father, the News reported. Buckley also told police he’d had thoughts of killing his father, and stabbed him with a pocket knife with the intent to kill him. Buckley said he tried to cut his father’s jugular vein so that his death would be painless.
David Buckley survived the incident and was transported to a hospital.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve