John Oliver has not hidden the fact that he is not a fan of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump (or as he calls him, Donald Drumpf). Oliver is also known to be a bit sarcastic in his line of work. So it’s not really a surprise that he devoted time on Last Week Tonight to Trump’s claim that he was being sarcastic when he said that President Barack Obama and Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton founded the terrorist organization ISIS.
While Oliver was glad to hear that Trump included Clinton as co-founder of the group (“Hashtag #Feminism, hashtag #IsisWithHer”), he’s equally certain that the sarcasm claim is “absolutely absurd.” “He means it 100%,” said Oliver. “So by the time this show airs he will have presumably said he was kidding but not, but yes, but maybe, but not, but yes, but maybe.”
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This