They have a lifelong rivalry in the pool. But take these two Olympians out of the water, and you have a beautiful friendship.
After four joint Olympics — not to mention a string of world championships — the athletes have built up a strong bromance. After Rio, Phelps will be returning home to marry his fiancée and enjoy some well-earned time with his new baby, Boomer. Lochte, meanwhile, has said he’d like to take a break from swimming, and also sees himself with a family by 2020. But Lochte’s also suggested that he wants to give their friendly rivalry another go in Tokyo. Friends: love ’em or hate ’em, they push you to be your best.
Five weeks ago, Lochte took the time to compile this ultimate photo collage of some of the their biggest moments together.
Both of them also posted a chummy pic after a pre-Rio training session where they raced each other.
The two are roommates at the Olympic Village in Rio, too.
Lochte’s birthday happened to fall during one of their first days at the Olympics. What’s a bud to do but wish his pal a good one with a classic shirtless selfie?
They’ve been hanging out with the rest of their team while in Rio — and with a few other notable Olympians from Team USA, too.
They won gold — together — as half of the men’s 4×200 freestyle relay team.
And a few hours before their (ostensibly) final match-up in the pool for the 200-m individual medley on Thursday night, the friends enjoyed a hearty pasta meal together to fuel up for their ultimate face-off.
Phelps may have won that particular battle, but Lochte seems to think the war isn’t over. And friendship? Well, that’s forever.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve