Michael Phelps is continuing to extend his record as the most decorated Olympian of all time, winning his 20th and 21st gold medals during Tuesday night’s events in Rio. Throughout his Olympic run, the 31-year-old swimmer has become one of the most cheered athletes of the Summer Games, winning fans over with both his incredible athleticism and tendency to wear his heart on his sleeve.
Whether it’s focused pre-race intensity, anxious scoreboard watching or unbridled celebration, Phelps isn’t one to hide his emotions. Here are six of his greatest game faces.
Getty Images (4); Gif by Elijah Sinclair Walker for TIME
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space