Michael Phelps is continuing to extend his record as the most decorated Olympian of all time, winning his 20th and 21st gold medals during Tuesday night’s events in Rio. Throughout his Olympic run, the 31-year-old swimmer has become one of the most cheered athletes of the Summer Games, winning fans over with both his incredible athleticism and tendency to wear his heart on his sleeve.
Whether it’s focused pre-race intensity, anxious scoreboard watching or unbridled celebration, Phelps isn’t one to hide his emotions. Here are six of his greatest game faces.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List