Evan McMullin is serious enough about running for president that he’s left his day job.
A spokesman for House Republican Conference Chair Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Nate Hodson, confirmed in an email to TIME on Monday that as of Monday morning, McMullin no longer works there.
McMullin, who used to be the chief policy director there and is also a former employee of the CIA, is expected to announce an independent presidential bid, hoping to earn the votes of conservatives and Never Trump backers, as BuzzFeed reported Monday.
His Twitter and Instagram accounts confirm he plans on running “because it’s never too late to do the right thing.”
McMullin, who was born in Utah, graduated from Brigham Young University in 2001 with a degree in International Studies, then completed Mormon missionary work in Brazil, according to ABC News.
A poll from the Hinckley Institute and the Salt Lake Tribune in June showed Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton essentially tied in Utah, with unusually high support for Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson and a pool of undecided voters.”
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction