Evan McMullin is serious enough about running for president that he’s left his day job.
A spokesman for House Republican Conference Chair Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Nate Hodson, confirmed in an email to TIME on Monday that as of Monday morning, McMullin no longer works there.
McMullin, who used to be the chief policy director there and is also a former employee of the CIA, is expected to announce an independent presidential bid, hoping to earn the votes of conservatives and Never Trump backers, as BuzzFeed reported Monday.
His Twitter and Instagram accounts confirm he plans on running “because it’s never too late to do the right thing.”
McMullin, who was born in Utah, graduated from Brigham Young University in 2001 with a degree in International Studies, then completed Mormon missionary work in Brazil, according to ABC News.
A poll from the Hinckley Institute and the Salt Lake Tribune in June showed Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton essentially tied in Utah, with unusually high support for Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson and a pool of undecided voters.”
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate