Evan McMullin is serious enough about running for president that he’s left his day job.
A spokesman for House Republican Conference Chair Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Nate Hodson, confirmed in an email to TIME on Monday that as of Monday morning, McMullin no longer works there.
McMullin, who used to be the chief policy director there and is also a former employee of the CIA, is expected to announce an independent presidential bid, hoping to earn the votes of conservatives and Never Trump backers, as BuzzFeed reported Monday.
His Twitter and Instagram accounts confirm he plans on running “because it’s never too late to do the right thing.”
McMullin, who was born in Utah, graduated from Brigham Young University in 2001 with a degree in International Studies, then completed Mormon missionary work in Brazil, according to ABC News.
A poll from the Hinckley Institute and the Salt Lake Tribune in June showed Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton essentially tied in Utah, with unusually high support for Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson and a pool of undecided voters.”
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve