In an address that was disrupted numerous times by protesters, Republican nominee Donald Trump said he would cut taxes and reduce regulations on business in what was billed as a major economic policy speech.
Eschewing his usual approach of calling out protesters, Trump largely ignored them, except to note that protesters who supported Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders had “more energy and spirit” and to note that the protest was well-organized.
In the speech, Trump argued that Democratic policies had failed Detroit, contending that the country as a whole would similarly suffering under Hillary Clinton.
“This is a city controlled by Democratic politicians at every level, and unless we change policies, we will not change results,” he said.
Speaking at the Detroit Economic Club, Trump also said that he will be putting forward more detailed economic proposals in the coming weeks, including plans to “cut regulations massively,” end the estate tax, enact an “across-the-board income tax reduction,” reduce the number of tax brackets from seven to three and make the cost of childcare fully deductible.
“For many American workers, their tax rate will be zero,” he said. “These reforms will offer the biggest tax revolution since the Reagan tax reform.”
He also said he would “cut regulations massively,” enacting a temporary moratorium on any new agency regulations, overturn “illegal and overreaching” executive orders and ask every federal agency to prepare a list of all regulations they oversee which are “not necessary, do not improve public safety and which needlessly kill jobs.”
“It is time to remove the anchor dragging us down,” he said.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022