The reigning Olympic gold medalist and six-time world champion told Kyodo News that he racked up a 500,000 yen (about $5,000) charge for his roaming data bill after playing the game since his arrival in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The athlete said that he downloaded the app when he arrived in Brazil for the pre-Olympic training camp and quickly became addicted to it — all while under the impression he had a flat rate for overseas data usage.
When Uchimura found out, however, he was less than enthused. His teammate Kenzo Shirai noted, “He looked dead at the team meal that day.”
Luckily, however, Uchimura’s phone company spared him the enormous expense and he’ll instead be paying the daily flat rate of about 3,000 yen (about $30).
“I really lucked out,” he concluded.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears