While Donald Trump has yet to endorse House Speaker Paul Ryan in his upcoming primary race, his running mate offered his support.
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence told Fox News Wednesday that he “strongly” supports Ryan in his reelection bid in Wisconsin, even if the Republican presidential nominee wouldn’t, calling Ryan a “longtime friend” and a “strong conservative leader.”
“I strongly support Paul Ryan, strongly endorse his reelection,” Pence said. “I believe we need Paul Ryan in leadership in the Congress of the United States to rebuild our military, to strengthen our economy and to ensure that we have the kind of leadership in this country that will make America great again.”
Pence’s comments come just a day after a Washington Post interview with Trump where the Republican nominee said that he “not quite there yet” on backing Ryan, words that echo the House Speaker’s hesitation to back Trump.
The drama comes only a couple weeks after the GOP convention, where the party was supposed to be united. This isn’t the first time Pence has had to play cleanup, releasing a statement Sunday that cleared up Trump’s feud with the family of Capt. Humayun Khan, who spoke out against the billionaire in a Democratic National Convention speech.
Pence told Fox that Trump was fine with the endorsement. “I talked to Donald Trump this morning about my support for Paul Ryan and our longtime friendship,” Pence said. “He strongly encouraged me to endorse Paul Ryan in next Tuesday’s primary and I’m pleased to do it.”
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out