A reboot of the 1984 film Splash is in the works at Disney, with Channing Tatum and Jillian Bell set to star in the film.
The original Splash, which launched the careers of Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah, follows a young man played by Hanks who reunites and falls in love with a mermaid, played by Hannah, who saved his life as a boy. But in the remake, Tatum will play the role of the mermaid—or merman, rather—who saves and then reunites with Bell.
Disney is collaborating with Imagine Entertainment’s Ron Howard and Brian Grazer, who will produce the reboot, Deadline reported. Howard directed the original Splash.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving