The Democratic National Convention has been filled with celebrity appearances, but one congressman brought down the house with his five-minute speech Thursday night.
Missouri Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, a United Methodist pastor and chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, roused the crowd by comparing Hillary Clinton to Jesus. He said, “They put him in a grave, and three days later, the world knew he wouldn’t stay throwed. Now here’s a warning— to those who might be tempted to spend the next four years trying to knock Hillary Clinton down — You better get ready for a woman who won’t stay throwed!”
He continued, yelling louder and growing more animated, “They threw her down as the First Lady. But she didn’t stay throwed. They threw her down as U.S. senator, but she wouldn’t stay throwed. They threw her down as a Secretary of State, but she wouldn’t stay throwed! They threw her down in this very campaign. This campaign. But she won’t stay throwed.”
Watch the clip here, at the Washington Post.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief