German Chancellor Angela Merkel promised Thursday to continue admitting migrants despite two terrorists attacks reportedly conducted by refugees, saying that Germans must “stick to our principles.”
Merkel, speaking at a news conference reported by the Associated Press, also pledged a continued investigation to bring anyone involved in the two attacks to justice and proposed new measures to help law enforcement prevent terrorism.
Prior to the attacks Germany had remained largely immune to terrorist attacks that have devastated their European neighbors, leading some to reopen discussion about the country’s relatively generous acceptance of migrants.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time