In a wide-ranging speech, former President Bill Clinton vigorously defended his wife and made the case for her presidency. He said at the Democratic National Convention Republicans have created a “cartoon” of Hillary Clinton because they fear the “real change” she would bring to America.
“But good for you, because earlier today, you nominated the real one,” Clinton said of his wife. The president had the crowd rocking and cheering as he jabbed Trump, joked about his record and spoke for nearly 45 minutes. “She is still the best darn change maker I have ever known,” Clinton said hours after Democrats officially nominated the first female presidential nominee of a major political party.
After a Monday marred by discord and a Tuesday full of vote-driven unity, Clinton rallied Democrats to get behind his wife. “Hillary will make us stronger together,” he said.
Read Clinton’s remarks as delivered below:
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out