Some men and women attending the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia praised an all-gender bathroom available to guests at the Wells Fargo Center.
“I’ve been in bathrooms that are for men and women, but never in a public arena like this,” one female attendee told TIME. “So it was fun just to walk in and look at the bathroom and see that it’s just a normal bathroom. There’s nothing strange about it at all.”
Neutral bathrooms, facilities anyone can use regardless of their gender, in public places, including schools, have been at the heart of debates playing out throughout the country as advocates fight for transgender rights.
“Once you experience it, and you’re actually in the restroom, I don’t think it’s really a big deal at all,” a male DNC guest said.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms