“Who are you?” asks Quill, a.k.a Star-Lord (Chris Pratt) in the footage.
“I thought it would be obvious with my rugged good looks,” quips Russell.
Though it was previously announced Russell would play Pratt’s father, the trailer showed for the first time that that man is in fact Ego — The Living Planet, capable of immense powers.
The first Guardians of the Galaxy film had hinted that Peter Quill was not just human. Ego created himself a human form, and it was in that form that he impregnated Quill’s mother (though Quill tries to avoid hearing this information in the clip).
The trailer also featured the other Guardians team members back in action, including a still-baby Groot.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time