“Who are you?” asks Quill, a.k.a Star-Lord (Chris Pratt) in the footage.
“I thought it would be obvious with my rugged good looks,” quips Russell.
Though it was previously announced Russell would play Pratt’s father, the trailer showed for the first time that that man is in fact Ego — The Living Planet, capable of immense powers.
The first Guardians of the Galaxy film had hinted that Peter Quill was not just human. Ego created himself a human form, and it was in that form that he impregnated Quill’s mother (though Quill tries to avoid hearing this information in the clip).
The trailer also featured the other Guardians team members back in action, including a still-baby Groot.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving