Ted Cruz caused a commotion when he failed to endorse Donald Trump in his speech to the Republican national convention.
But the Texas Senator was not alone. A number of speakers at this week’s convention avoided explicitly coming out and saying that they endorsed Trump or that he would make a good president.
Here’s a look at how and why they did.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction