Donald Trump’s failed attempt to kiss his running mate on the forehead at the Republican convention has lit up the Internet.
The awkward moment, perhaps due to a collision of New York City social conventions and typical Midwestern reserve, started when Trump went for a handshake with vice presidential nominee Mike Pence. Trump then moved in for a friendly kiss on Pence’s forehead, but the Indiana Governor turned away at that exact moment, resulting in the dreaded air kiss.
Still, Trump remained cool, settling instead for his signature pointing move and giving Pence a thumb’s up.
Online, people are obsessed with the moment, comparing it to a Harry Potter power exchange.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com