Newt Gingrich spoke at the Republican national convention Wednesday night, responding to Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s failure to endorse Donald Trump.
The former House Speaker began by noting that Trump had asked several of his former rivals, including Cruz, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio to speak without endorsing him.
“Now I think you misunderstood one paragraph that Ted Cruz, who is a superb orator, said, and I just want to point it out to you, Ted Cruz said you can vote your conscience for anyone who will uphold the Constitution. In this election, there is only one candidate who will uphold the Constitution,” he said.
“So to paraphrase Ted Cruz, if you want to protect the Constitution of United States, the only possible candidate this fall is the Trump-Pence Republican ticket,” he added.
Read the full transcript of Gingrich’s remarks, including his wife Callista’s introduction, as delivered:
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction