Newt Gingrich spoke at the Republican national convention Wednesday night, responding to Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s failure to endorse Donald Trump.
The former House Speaker began by noting that Trump had asked several of his former rivals, including Cruz, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio to speak without endorsing him.
“Now I think you misunderstood one paragraph that Ted Cruz, who is a superb orator, said, and I just want to point it out to you, Ted Cruz said you can vote your conscience for anyone who will uphold the Constitution. In this election, there is only one candidate who will uphold the Constitution,” he said.
“So to paraphrase Ted Cruz, if you want to protect the Constitution of United States, the only possible candidate this fall is the Trump-Pence Republican ticket,” he added.
Read the full transcript of Gingrich’s remarks, including his wife Callista’s introduction, as delivered:
- Amanda Gorman on the Greatest Lesson She’s Learned This Year
- What Actually Worries U.S. Doctors About Omicron
- Reuniting Families Separated Under Trump Is Expensive. Should the U.S. Government Pay?
- The 10 Best Movies of 2021
- America's Foster Care System Is a Dangerous Place for Trans Teens. Now They're Fighting for Change
- Stressed About Going Back to the Office? Here Are 8 Ways to Make It Easier
- What to Know About Digital World, the Company Funding Trump's New Social Media Platform 'TRUTH Social'