TIME takes a look at vivid scenes from the GOP’s mega-gathering that comes to a close Thursday, July 21, 2016.
Every four years, the GOP holds the Republican National Convention to officially nominate their pick for president and rally around the party’s newly anointed leader.
Although the convention has differed slightly from years past, such as the Never Trump movement’s last ditch effort to stop the businessman from being nominated and Melania Trump’s plagiarism of Michelle Obama’s 2008 Democratic convention speech, the 2016 convention is following familiar patterns.
Republican’s united around their candidate when they officially nominated Trump Tuesday night, capping a stunning primary season.
Major GOP leaders have bashed Hillary Clinton and promoted a narrative that the country needs change and that Donald Trump is the best person to bring it about, all the while protesters gather outside the convention hall as they have in years past.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World