Interns working for the Democratic party took a group selfie in response Speaker of the House Paul Ryan’s controversial selfie of Capitol Hill interns posted this week.
Ryan’s photo, captioned “I think this sets a record for the most number of #CapitolHill interns in a single selfie. #SpeakerSelfie,” drew criticism after he posted it on Instagram for featuring a lack of racial diversity.
Audra Jackson, an intern for Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson, gathered Democratic interns for a selfie response on Tuesday, in an effort to show a more diverse class of interns than the ones featured in Ryan’s photo.
Johnson herself took to Twitter to highlight the differences between the two photos.
“The picture of the Democratic interns look a lot different than the #speakerselfie,” Johnson wrote.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Mahita Gajanan at email@example.com