1. Can we actually predict earthquakes?
By Mark Harris in Nautilus
2. To fight terrorism, France can take a lesson from the U.S.
By Aki Peritz at Reuters
3. A good use for drones: detecting and detonating land mines.
By James Vincent in the Verge
4. Could your next painkiller be — a virtual reality game?
By Rachel Metz in MIT Technology Review
5. Satellites might save these turtles from extinction.
By Laurel Neme at National Geographic
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- What Wildfire Smoke Does to the Human Body
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- How Past Lives Combines Memoir and Artistry
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk