Actor and Donald Trump supporter Scott Baio is not a fan of Hillary Clinton. On July 10, the Republican Convention keynote speaker tweeted to Donald Trump what he considered “the best meme out there.” Attached was a picture of Hillary Clinton standing in front of a sign that presumably spelled C-O-U-N-T-R-Y, but Clinton’s head blocked the O and the R-Y was cut off.
On Monday night at the Republican National Convention, CNN’s Dana Bash revisited that tweet in an interview with Baio. “Given the high profile that you have now, given the discourse that I think Republicans are trying to sort of calm down, do you regret that?” she asked.
“It’s just a picture somebody sent and we sent it out,” Baio said. “You make of it what you want. I didn’t put anything behind it.”
Baio’s tweet may be taking a page from his own suggested playbook. When discussing why he endorsed Trump back in March, Baio said to Fox News, “We need somebody to relentlessly, relentlessly attack Hillary. It’s the only way we’re going to win.” He explained that it was defense against “vicious” attacks in kind from “Democrats and liberals.”
Yet Baio denied that he called Clinton the expletive in a tweet on July 16. “I NEVER called her that name. You ASSUMED,” he wrote in response to a Jezebel article about his habits on Twitter supporting the Republican frontrunner.
So no, Baio did not directly call Clinton that expletive. He did not write the words or create the meme. But actions speak louder than words. In this case, one word.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022