A tour bus carrying passengers from mainland China crashed and burst into flames on the way to Taiwan’s main airport Tuesday, reportedly killing all 26 people on board.
Reuters cites a statement from Taiwan’s tourism authority saying the bus was carrying members of a tour group organized by a travel agency in China’s northeastern province of Liaoning.
Local TV reports the bus was heading from Taipei to Taoyuan International Airport when it apparently crashed into a highway barrier, although the cause of the fire remains unknown, Reuters reports.
Officials said there were 24 tourists on board, including eight men and 16 women, plus a guide and driver, according to Agence-France Presse.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Simon Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org