Multiple people were killed when a truck plowed into a crowd, according to the mayor of Nice, France.
Mayor Christian Estrosi tweeted late Thursday that there are “tens of deaths.”
“Dear Nice residents, the driver of a truck appears to have caused tens of deaths. Stay for the moment in your homes. More info to come,” Estrosi said in a tweet.
An eyewitness told the Associated Press that the truck drove into the crowd before a man emerged from it and began to shoot. There were “bodies everywhere,” the witness, Wassim Bouhlel, said.
The crowd was celebrating Bastille Day and police in the area are advising people to stay indoors, as there is a possibility that the incident was an attack.
With reporting from Vivienne Walt
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time