Multiple people were killed when a truck plowed into a crowd, according to the mayor of Nice, France.
Mayor Christian Estrosi tweeted late Thursday that there are “tens of deaths.”
“Dear Nice residents, the driver of a truck appears to have caused tens of deaths. Stay for the moment in your homes. More info to come,” Estrosi said in a tweet.
An eyewitness told the Associated Press that the truck drove into the crowd before a man emerged from it and began to shoot. There were “bodies everywhere,” the witness, Wassim Bouhlel, said.
The crowd was celebrating Bastille Day and police in the area are advising people to stay indoors, as there is a possibility that the incident was an attack.
With reporting from Vivienne Walt
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up