Multiple people were killed when a truck plowed into a crowd, according to the mayor of Nice, France.
Mayor Christian Estrosi tweeted late Thursday that there are “tens of deaths.”
“Dear Nice residents, the driver of a truck appears to have caused tens of deaths. Stay for the moment in your homes. More info to come,” Estrosi said in a tweet.
An eyewitness told the Associated Press that the truck drove into the crowd before a man emerged from it and began to shoot. There were “bodies everywhere,” the witness, Wassim Bouhlel, said.
The crowd was celebrating Bastille Day and police in the area are advising people to stay indoors, as there is a possibility that the incident was an attack.
With reporting from Vivienne Walt
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time