Multiple people were killed when a truck plowed into a crowd, according to the mayor of Nice, France.
Mayor Christian Estrosi tweeted late Thursday that there are “tens of deaths.”
“Dear Nice residents, the driver of a truck appears to have caused tens of deaths. Stay for the moment in your homes. More info to come,” Estrosi said in a tweet.
An eyewitness told the Associated Press that the truck drove into the crowd before a man emerged from it and began to shoot. There were “bodies everywhere,” the witness, Wassim Bouhlel, said.
The crowd was celebrating Bastille Day and police in the area are advising people to stay indoors, as there is a possibility that the incident was an attack.
With reporting from Vivienne Walt
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now