Multiple people were killed when a truck plowed into a crowd, according to the mayor of Nice, France.
Mayor Christian Estrosi tweeted late Thursday that there are “tens of deaths.”
“Dear Nice residents, the driver of a truck appears to have caused tens of deaths. Stay for the moment in your homes. More info to come,” Estrosi said in a tweet.
An eyewitness told the Associated Press that the truck drove into the crowd before a man emerged from it and began to shoot. There were “bodies everywhere,” the witness, Wassim Bouhlel, said.
The crowd was celebrating Bastille Day and police in the area are advising people to stay indoors, as there is a possibility that the incident was an attack.
With reporting from Vivienne Walt
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror