After 58 years of marriage one San Antonio, Texas couple died side by side while holding hands, according to KTLA.
“I just can’t believe something like this would ever happen, you hear this on the movies … like The Notebook,” the couple’s daughter Corina Martinez said.
George and Ora Lee Rodriguez reportedly met in San Antonio when George was working as a butcher at a local meat market.
High school sweethearts, the pair met at the butcher shop, and married after George completed his time in the military, FOX 29 in San Antonio reports. They then had three children.
According to KTLA the couple were both diagnosed with dementia, which continued to progress and George recently had a stroke.
Their love story reportedly came to a beautiful end less than a week after their 58th wedding anniversary when George died in his sleep, followed by his wife Ora Lee, just three hours later.
“We had them here at the house, in their hospital beds, right beside each other,” Corina added. “They were holding hands.”
Their other daughter Georgia Perez added, “My mother would always say that she was going to take my father or vice versa, and it did happen, we didn’t think it would, but it did.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org