Victor Barrio, 29, died after a 1,166-pound bull flipped him and gored him in the thigh and in the chest, which penetrated a lung and his aorta, the Associated Press reports.
“My condolences to the family and colleagues of Victor Barrio, the deceased bullfighter this evening in Teruel. Rest in Peace,” Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy tweeted.
Barrio was the first professional matador to die during a bullfight in Spain since 1985, when 21-year-old Jose Cubero Yiyo from France was fatally gored in Madrid, according to the AP.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science