Al Franken and Keith Ellison—progressive leaders from Minnesota in the U.S. Senate and House of representatives, respectively—both suggested the fatal shooting of Philando Castile Wednesday night was another injustice by law enforcement. Castile was pulled over in a traffic stop and shot while apparently reaching for his wallet. Video footage streamed to Facebook Live captured the aftermath of the incident.
The Minnesota shooting followed another shooting in Louisiana that received national attention as police fatally shot a black man after he was apprehended. That death promoted outcry from prominent officials including Hillary Clinton who called the death a “tragedy” and called for criminal justice reforms. Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards said it was “disturbing to say the least.”
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time