ISIS has claimed responsibility for the atrocity, which occurred in a crowded shopping area of the Iraqi capital’s Karrada district, when a suicide bomber detonated a truckload of explosives. Karrada is home to many Christians and Shi‘ite Muslims.
Iraq’s Interior Minister Mohammed Ghabban resigned Wednesday, according to a post on his Facebook page cited by the Australian Associated Press. Furious Iraqis have denounced the inability of the state to maintain security amid ongoing ISIS bombings in the capital.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science