Presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump renewed criticism of a “rigged system” of government on Tuesday, after FBI Director James Comey recommended that no criminal case be brought against Hillary Clinton over her use of a personal email server as Secretary of State.
“Although there is evidence of potential violations, our judgement is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case,” Comey said. “We are expressing to Justice our view that no charges are appropriate in this case.”
Trump responded immediately on Twitter.
“The system is rigged. General Petraeus got in trouble for far less. Very very unfair! As usual, bad judgment,” Trump posted .
“FBI director said Crooked Hillary compromised our national security. No charges. Wow! #RiggedSystem,” he added.
Other Republicans and conservative pundits echoed his disappointment, questioning Comey’s judgment and Clinton’s fitness for the presidency.
Other conservatives who have opposed Trump attacked Clinton, while arguing that Trump is ill-prepared to defeat her.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Katie Reilly at Katie.Reilly@time.com