Elie Wiesel, the Holocaust survivor who became an internationally acclaimed writer, activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner, died on July 2, 2016, at the age of 87. Wiesel was named as one of the Heroes & Pioneers of the 2006 TIME 100. Oprah Winfrey honored Wiesel in that issue below, under the headline “He Taught Us How to Answer Evil”:
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving