A German tourist died Wednesday trying to pose for a photo in a restricted area of Machu Picchu, according to reports.
Oliver Park, 51, slipped from a ledge and fell around 130 ft. as he tried to jump to pose for a photo, according to a Washington Post report. Peruvian officials said the area had been restricted. Park was found dead when rescuers reached him 90 minutes after his fall.
Park is far from the first to die on Machu Picchu. Many others have fallen—or had rocks fall on them—at the UNESCO Heritage Site, according to the report.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement